Translate

Saturday, October 08, 2016

10 Things I Wish I Knew Pre-Breakdown

In all aspects of our lives there are things that we look back on and wish we could change. We see things in a different light once we have been through them and fantasise about how much better we could have done it knowing what we know now. 

So if I could go back in time and give myself some advice what would it have been?

1. Live it- don't try and suppress anything, it will be hard but you can't stop or ignore what is happening in your body or mind, let it come and it will go, listen to what your body is telling you and try to go with the flow and control what you can

2. Rest- work, DIY, housework, projects can all wait. You won't get anything done if you are not functioning properly and your health is more important than any job

3. Get out- sit in the garden, open a window and let some fresh air in, go for a short walk

4. Water- keep hydrated, you're going to do very little including very little to look after yourself and dehydration does not help anything

5. Eat- even if you pick at food just keep eating small amounts and build it up, keep it nutritious

6. Bad social media and negative television- the upsetting social experiments, eery shows, horrible news stories, distressing images, other people's dramas are all going to do you no good and some will make you paranoid and bring nightmares

7. Sleep- try your best to be in bed on a night and out of it through the day, you'll seriously struggle to sleep but you need some sort of routine

8. Dance- you love to dance and the exercise will do you good, don't give up what you love, you might not be able to get to a class but there's always your kitchen!

9. Cuddle- it's easier to push people away and you'll become irritated sometimes by contact but there really is some truth in hugging it out and you need to keep the good relationships you have

10. Medication?- I now believe my medication gave me many side effects that were very hard to live with at the time and that possibly 6 weeks away from work without them might have been enough. I can't say for sure but I think if there is a next time I will be less willing to start medication and try the healthy living approach and rest first

It may seem as though this advice is wasted as I can't go back in time BUT if I do have another breakdown I have this knowledge. I can look back at this list and know what worked and what didn't. I can try it and if it's different next time at least I tried something I had a little faith in. I lived and I learnt and used my lessons to get ahead.

What would you tell your past self?

Much love,
Becky xx

No comments: