We all need that bit of positivity in our lives and when negativity sneaks in it can throw us completely off our path to happiness. There will always be negative situations that crop up and we will need to face them. But if we can avoid negativity we minimise the stress it can induce. Here's my 8 Top Tips to Avoid Negativity...
- Unfollow- this could be people on your social media, groups online, newsletters, emails, something you have subscribed to. If you are seeing negative images or words that bring down your mood think whether you need to be seeing them
- Read Reviews- when booking an event, buying a product or visiting a place check it out first for the reviews and decide whether it is for you
- Selective Television- a film or TV series described as "chilling and a real tear jerker" or full of people shouting and arguing may not be the best thing to brighten your mood. Use your TV guide to decide whether you should watch programmes you know will be upsetting or focus on negative situations/events
- A Good Book- pick your choice of book carefully. Just like television you can choose to steer away from books based on a negative event or that speak about subjects you may find unsettling
- Avoid Conflict- sometimes conflict is necessary but if it is turning into a heated argument or a battle of the keyboard warriors then it's not healthy for anyone involved
- Nip It In The Bud- if someone starts to gossip or tell you something negative it's ok to say you'd rather not speak about it or excuse yourself from the group. If you feel yourself thinking negative thoughts redirect your focus where possible- keep busy, doodle, play a game, anything that distracts you
- Be Kind- be kind to yourself and speak of yourself in a positive manner. Compliment yourself and do the things that you know make you happy. Be kind to others too and avoid being negative yourself
- Focus- if you focus on the negatives they become greater. Focus on the positives in your life and on things that make you feel happy. Count your blessings and look for the silver lining- this really is the art of the positive thinker!
I hope these tips help you get rid of some of the negativities in your life and lead to a calmer and happier day.