Translate

Wednesday, October 07, 2026

Back to Basics

Why do we over complicate things? Life itself is quite simple really. Stay hydrated, rest and sleep, eat a balanced diet, exercise and connect with other humans. Thats basically it. All your most basic needs are met there but they can also be beautifully joyful and enjoyable parts of everyday life. But do we prioritise them?

As part of my rest and recovery period I have been signed off work for 4 weeks. As a gym member I have made sure I have booked 5 classes a week for pilates ot yoga. The benefits are instant for me and grow with each session. I stand taller, I'm more mobile in my joints, aches and pains ease, my mind calms and clears, I sleep better and the list goes on and on. So it would be really simple to do this every day when I return to work wouldn't it? I could even half it to 30 minutes a day. Before bed would be perfect. But will it happen?

Lets be honest probably not. Should it happen? Absolutely. Because I know that in hindsight I will look back at a week and say I didn't have time to fit it in, but I bet I watched tv, scrolled on my phone or took my time with sonething I could of done quicker. I bet I did things that just aren't a priority or could of waited. I bet I did things that were actually detrimental to my wellbeing, health or calmness when I could of rolled out my mat and done a few simple and easy yoga moves. 

Yoga and pilates doesn't even make me sweat so it can be done before work or before I need to go out or after a shower. It can be adapted too to easier or more challenging. It can be done while watching something on tv or listening to a podcast. It can be done alone, in a class, with a loved one.  It can be done indoors or outdoors. It takes very little space up and can be done with no equipment.

So I will be holding myself accountable. Its a priority, its vital, it preventative and its healthy for mind, body and soul. So Becky Jane, you will be doing yoga or pilates at least 5 times a week for the foreseeable. No excuses or reasons! Some tough self love is needed and I will thank myself for it later!

Much love,

Becky xx

No comments: