Translate

Friday, September 18, 2026

Work It Out

 Last December I joined a lovely gym and really enjoyed going. It had everything I needed, it was friendly and clean and I found myself wanting to go and to improve myself.

It was also a massive help in diagnosing and recovering from my TIA (mini stroke) as the treadmill had been tracking my heart rate. The stats where wildly different before and after the incident so it then became piece of mind that I could monitor and recognise signs of blood clots or just my health in general. All was going steadily but I haven't been for a month now.

I had a procedure on my leg which meant no saunas, swimming or heavy exercise for 4 weeks at least. I didn't realise how much I had missed it and also how much it helped with my mental health. Its a proven fact that exercise releases endorphins and that being in good health itself lowers stress and reduces triggers that can affect mental  health. This I know but its also a hobby, a chance to socialise or get some alone time, somewhere to enjoy my music or a podcast uninterrupted and a personal challenge. 

Feeling yoy have worked hard or achieved and improved is a massive boost for mental wellbeing. Its the equivalent of those little gold star stickers we got at school. Especially in western countries we are programmed from a young age to seek rewards. As children we are praised, given certificates, have award assemblies and given those shiny gold stars. As we grow to adults we still seek that validation and praise but where does it come from?  

You may have some wonderful people on your life or a workplace that offers you praise and recognition but for many of us this isn't an option or steady trickle of praise. So we have to learn to high five ourselves. Make it a point each day to say out loud well done and recognise one thing you did that day. Whether it's a personal best in the gym or doing the dishes. Even a compliment to yourself or remembering a past achievement you are proud of. Relive that moment. And what if you can't think of a single thing? Praise the fact you are here which means you have survived every single hardship so far. You're doing amazing.

Much love,

Becky xx


No comments: