Translate

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

The Words of Carl Jung

After doing some research for my blog post on the use of adult colouring books I found the work of Swiss psychiatrist Carl Jung. Jung developed the idea and was a big influence on the world of psychology by founding analytical psychology. From what I have found he is also a man of inspirational and thoughtful words. He speaks with a clear and thought provoking message. Here are a few of his quotes that really spoke to me and I think teach us a little about ourselves and the way we think.

"No tree it is said, can grow to heaven unless the roots reach down to hell." I think this represents growth and self enlightenment. We need to understand ourselves and our past so we can grow and move forward. Also I think it says that those that don't experience lows won't truly ever feel highs.

"Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart, who looks outside dreams; who looks inside, awakes." Although it may be difficult it is important to look into yourself and  think about who you are, how you feel, what you know and your abilities. Getting to know yourself can be a scary process but it let's you live to the fullest, make changes and accept and appreciate who you really are.


"I am not what happened to me. I am what I choose to become." This is one of my favourite Carl Jung quotes. I read it and shout YES! Although bad things happen they are not you or your personality. I don't want to be seen as 'the depressed girl' 'the girl who lost her dad' 'the anxious girl' I want to be the 'depression fighter' 'Daydays daughter' 'the strong one' and most importantly I choose to be Becky!



'People will do anything, no matter how absurd, to avoid facing their own souls.' I think this applies to a lot of people. I choose to wear a mask and pretend it was all ok. Some choose drugs, alcohol, sex, fighting and so many other things that can be so damaging and ultimately make things worse. But these things seem a lot less frightening than facing your soul.

'Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word happy would lose it's meaning if it were not balanced by sadness.' True! Nobody will ever go through life 100% happy with no worries or troubles or difficult times. We all will face some sort of danger, loss, worry, sadness throughout our lives and that is just the way life is. But we will soon realise how much we value happiness and how much of a gift it is. We will aim for it, maintain it and appreciate it whenever it happens. You need sadness to realise this.




'It all depends on how we look at things.' It really does! We can look at the glass half empty and we can look at something as a worrying obstacle or we can see it as a challenge and look for it's silver lining. Whenever you are able look at things positively and try to find the good in them. Things come along to challenge us and teach us valuable lessons. Some things come along to tear us a part and break our world down as we know it. Either way we need to look at them as a fight we can win no matter how impossible it may seem. Stay positive my lovelies and remember what Carl Jung once famously said 'show me a sane man and I will cure him for you.' We all have our quirks and our struggles. It's human.


Much love,

Becky xx

No comments: